The latest year-in-review issue of Billboard Magazine features year-end charts for 2012. Topping one of those charts, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was named the #1 Traditional Classical Albums Artist in 2012.
Overall, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square charted on five of the year-end lists, and twice on an Albums list:
- #1 Traditional Classical Albums Artist
- #3 and #9 on Traditional Classical Albums (for the albums GLORY! Music of Rejoicing and This Is the Christ, respectively)
- #4 Traditional Classical Albums Imprint
- #5 Traditional Classical Albums Label
- #12 on Classical Crossover Albums (for the album Glad Christmas Tidings, featuring David Archuleta)
Billboard Magazine has served the entertainment business since 1894. The year-end charts are calculated using custom formulas that look at product sales, streaming music, and radio play.
The Choir also recently celebrated the tenth anniversary of the formation of its own recording label. In 2003 the Choir partnered with Deseret Book to handle all product distribution and marketing.
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has recorded nearly 200 albums over the past 100 years, with five gold records, two platinum records, and a Grammy. Their latest recording, Teach Me To Walk in the Light & other Children’s Favorites, is now available in stores and on iTunes.
The Choir’s weekly Music and the Spoken Word program is the world’s longest-running continuous network broadcast and airs on more than 2,000 TV, radio and cable stations across the country. The all-volunteer 360-member choir is accompanied by the 110-member Orchestra at Temple Square.