The Tegucigalpa Honduras Temple public open house will be held Saturday, 9 February, through Saturday, 2 March 2013. Guided tours will be conducted Mondays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Tuesdays through Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Following this public open house, on 17 March 2013, a member of the First Presidency of the Church will formally dedicate the Tegucigalpa Honduras Temple as the 141st temple operating of the Church. Three dedicatory sessions will be held.
The Tegucigalpa Honduras Temple will serve approximately 233,000 members of the Church in Honduras and Nicaragua. The new temple is the sixth temple in Central America. The other five are located in Guatemala City, Guatemala (dedicated in 1984); San Jos, Costa Rica (2000); Panama City, Panama (2008); San Salvador, El Salvador (2011); and Quetzaltenango, Guatemala (2011).
Exterior features of the temple include granite from China and art-glass windows with designs inspired by the Mayan culture, which are also included in interior features, together with original murals that depict Honduran landscapes. Motifs of the orchid, national flower of Honduras, are found on the furniture, doors and other places in the temple.
The history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Honduras began in 1952 when Elder Spencer W. Kimball, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles met with then president of the Republic Dr. Juan Manuel Glvez and received authorization for representatives of the Church to begin preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ in Honduras.
Today there are approximately 153,000 members of the Church who reside in Honduras, in 227 congregations.