PROVO, Utah — Sounds of Zion and The Inspirational Music Showcase will present An Evening of Entertainment and Inspiration on Saturday February 25th, 7:00 PM at Provo’s Timpview High School.
The show will be produced by award winning composer/producer Greg Hansen and Dave Tinney.
Songwriter and radio personality Steven Kapp Perry hosts an evening that features the finest inspirational and LDS performers including Jessie Clark Funk, Marvin Goldstein, Michael Dowdle, Dave Tinney, and Sam Payne. The concert audience will also be introduced to the new women’s vocal group One Clear Voice. The evening also features special guest performances by popular LDS entertainer and singer/songwriter Kirby Heyborne.
- Best known for his acting work in popular films such as The Singles Ward, The R. M., Saints and Soldiers, and The Best Two Years, Kirby Heyborne is also a talented singer/songwriter and a great all around entertainer. Before moving to L.A., he was a featured performer in the improv troupe Comedy Sportz. He is currently cast in a recurring role on the FOX sitcom “Free Ride,” which is set to premiere March 1st. Kirby released his debut CD Inside March of 2005 and is back in the studio working on his second project due out this spring.
- Jessie Clark Funk is an award winning recording artist, wife and mom. Her first CD Clay In His Hands was released Fall of 2003 and garnered four Pearl Awards from the Faith Centered Music Association. Her second CD, Better than I, was released Fall of 2005. She is a featured vocalist on the new CD Believe In Him: Inspiring Music for Youth. Jessie is married to songwriter/producer/recording engineer Jim Funk.
- Marvin Goldstein has a performing and recording career spanning nearly 30 years. He has recorded more than 30 CDs and has literally traveled the world teaching and performing. His latest CD, My Favorite Songs from LDS Songwriters, is a two-CD set featuring songs from the beginnings of LDS music in the 70’s to current favorites performed in Marvin’s unforgettable style. His Peace Through Music foundation recently released the CD Brothers and Friends — featuring Marvin — with country music star Billy Dean and the multi-talented Thurl Bailey.
- Michael Dowdle is an award winning jazz musician, composer, studio musician and recording artist. In addition to his acclaimed smooth jazz albums and best-selling inspirational CDs, Michael has written and performed music for such notable clients as ABC Sports (The Monday Night Football theme), Good Morning America, The Today Show, Oprah Winfrey and many more. He is also an in demand “first call” studio guitarist doing sessions for local and national clients. His latest series of solo projects, Twenty-five Beloved Hymns series, are runaway bestsellers, along with his new songbook Beloved Hymns for Guitar.
- Dave Tinney is an award-winning vocalist, a songwriter, choreographer, director, master teacher, actor and writer. He has performed professionally across the country and around the world, including Israel and New York. For the past eight summers he has spent several weeks in Palmyra New York as one of the directors of The Hill Cumorah Pageant. Dave won a Pearl Award for his solo CD He Leadeth Me: Hymns and Songs of Christ and has performed on numerous recordings, including projects from Michael McLean, Janice Kapp Perry and others. He worked as an adjunct faculty member in the Musical Dance Theater Department at BYU. Currently he is the artistic director for the Provo Theater Company, where he is working as a freelance actor, director, choreographer and producer.
- Southern Utah’s favorite singer/songwriter, Sam Payne, comes from a family of talented musicians and performers. His father, Marvin, is a well known stage and film actor; and an accomplished writer and musician who pioneering in Utah the currently popular acoustic folk/pop sound. Now living in St. George, Sam has teamed up with other excellent musicians seeking a simpler, sunnier life to form the Sam Payne Project. He keeps an active live performance schedule, when he’s not teaching seminary and riding bikes with his kids. The Sam Payne Project has released several CDs, including the Pearl Award-winning Railroad Blessing and their latest, Coming Just to Go, released Fall of 2005.
- The new women’s vocal group One Clear Voice brings together some of the most celebrated talent in LDS and inspirational music—Tammy Simister Robinson, Johanne Freschette Perry, Tanya Barkdull and LaRene Tinney. Tammy is an awarding winning songwriter and vocalist as well as a sought after vocal instructor. She has released two award winning solo CDs, The Color of Hope and In Thy Hands. Johanne is best known for her portrayal of Utah settler Polly Matilda Merrill Colton in the one woman show Polly, written by her husband Steven Kapp Perry. Tanya Barkdull and LaRene Tinney both have extensive studio vocal resumes ranging from national commercial clients to local projects including Michael McLean, Janice Kapp Perry, Senator Orrin Hatch, Greg Hansen and more.
Tickets are available at Missionary Emporium in West Jordan, Family Video in Highland (near the Kohlers), Seagull Book stores in American Fork, Lindon and University Parkway in Orem, and on-line at www.localeventtix.com. The cost is $8 in advance and $10 at the door. For groups of 10 or more contact Sounds of Zion at 801/255-1991 Monday thru Friday during regular business hours.