I wasn’t sure about bacon cupcakes but I must admit, they’re good. It’s no wonder—chocolate, bacon, and peanut butter are a good, balanced combination.
These are made with our Very Fudgy Baby Cakes Dessert Cupcake and Cake Mix. The cake is denser than the box cakes in the grocery store, a cream cake, about half as dense as a pound cake. You need a dense, moist cake with substance—not to mention, chocolate pieces–to balance with strong flavors of bacon and peanut butter.
To Make and Assemble the Cupcakes
Make the cupcakes as directed on the package. Let them cool on a rack.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place a dollop of frosting on each cupcake. Shape the frosting as you like. Alternatively, you can pipe the frosting into swirls on the tops of the cupcakes.
2. Sprinkle the prepared bacon bits over the frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
This is a great frosting recipe. Use it to frost a layer cake, brownies, or cupcakes. It works well with either a yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix. If you use a yellow cake mix, consider throwing a handful of chopped peanuts into the batter. If you want cream filled cupcakes, use Bavarian cream.
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
5 cups powdered sugar
a scant 1 cup peanut butter
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup roasted, salted peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat after each addition.
- Add the peanut butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add milk until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cake or cupcake.
- Coarsely chop the peanuts and sprinkle over the frosting.
These are more chunks than bits.
Fry one half pound of bacon until crisp. Cut them into chunks with kitchen shears (the My Favorite Scissors work perfectly). Put them in a bowl and toss them with three tablespoons of brown sugar.
Cream cakes have more substance than boxed cake mixes. They are moist and nearly as dense as a pound cake. The Fudgy Baby Cakes Mix that we used for this recipe is generously loaded with chocolate pieces. With more substance and deep chocolate, it balances better with strong flavors of bacon and peanut butter.
This week, for Meridian readers, you can save 50% on Fudgy Baby Cakes mixes. No limit. Expires April 3, 2015
Dennis Weaver has burnt food from Point Barrow, Alaska, to Miami, Florida. He is the founder of The Prepared Pantry in Rigby, Idaho and the author of How to Bake: The Art and Science of Baking available as an Ebook or as a Kindle book on Amazon.
He loves to help people bake and shares his vast collection of cooking and baking knowledge on his blog as well as in his Ebooks and Magazines.
Dennis lives in Rigby, Idaho, with his wife, Merri Ann. They have five wonderful children.
To learn more about The Prepared Pantry, visit our website at www.preparedpantry.com.