DENVER, Colorado — With a focus on strengthening marriages both within and beyond the LDS community, Latter-day Saint scholars, educators, practitioners and members are coming together to share their knowledge and resources on strengthening marriage. The LDS Marriage Network will hold its 2nd annual LDS Marriage Network Smart Marriages pre-conference in Denver, Colorado, this week.
This two-day seminar is held in connection with the annual Smart Marriages conference held annually.
The LDS Marriage Network pre-conference seminar will be a two-day event that runs from 12 to 6:00 p.m. on June 27 th and from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on June 28 th . The focus of the conference seminar will be on coming together to learn from each other and organize efforts to help build stronger and more fulfilling marriage relationships within the LDS community.
The Smart Marriages conference will immediately follow the pre-conference seminar, running from June 28 through July 1, 2007, with both pre- and post-conference training opportunities available (see www.smartmarriages.com ).
We invite anyone who might be interested to attend and participate — both those who are attending the annual Smart Marriages conference and any who would like to attend the free LDS Marriage Network pre-conference seminar.
For more information about the Smart Marriages conference or to register, please visit www.smartmarriages.com . Also, those coming to the conference who wish to also register for the LDS Marriage Network seminar can register for pre-conference workshop #115.
Confirmed presenters for the conference include H. Wallace Goddard, PhD; Joseph White, PhD; Paul Birch, MS; Sean Brotherson, PhD; and many more. Topics to be addressed include perspectives on learning truth about marriage and family life; the gospel and marital reconciliation; focusing on couple strengths and marital virtues; the Atonement and marriage; helping LDS newlyweds prepare for and enter marriage; new educational resources for strengthening marriage; grassroots and interfaith efforts to strengthen marriage within the LDS community; dealing with pornography issues and concerns affecting marriage; assisting LDS youth to be morally worthy before marriage; and more. Some basic details of the LDS Marriage Network pre- conference are as follows:
What? — 2nd Annual LDS Marriage Network Smart Marriages pre- conference seminar
When? — Wednesday and Thursday, June 27 and 28, 2007 (12-6pm on Wed., 8-5:30 pm on Thurs)
Where? — Denver Adams Mark Hotel, Denver, Colorado (1550 Court Place, Denver, CO)
Who? — For all people interested in strengthening LDS marriages. This includes husbands and wives, parents, ecclesiastical leaders, community educators, mental health professionals, youth leaders, social workers, therapists, scholars, and others.
Why? — Our purposes are:
- To gather members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who are interested in strengthening marriages
- To share the vision of the LDS Marriage Network in strengthening marriages
- To facilitate sharing of current marriage building efforts
- To further understand LDS marriages
- To provide education on key marital issues
- To network with fellow marriage leaders and supporters to develop approaches for strengthening marriages of LDS members worldwide
- To be a catalyst for empowering ongoing collaborative efforts to strengthen marriage
In addition to the two-day seminar, there will also be additional meeting times for informal networking for LDS participants at the Smart Marriages conference.
- Registration for the LDS Marriage Network pre-conference seminar is FREE. Please pre-register for this conference opportunity by sending an email to email@example.com or call Sean Brotherson at (701) 231-6143. You may send an email to the same address to sign up for information updates concerning the LDS Marriage Network.
- A display table will be available to share business cards, brochures, marriage resources, etc.
- The LDS Marriage Network pre-conference agenda will be posted at: http://www.ldsmarriagenetwork.org and http://www.strengtheningmarriage.com. You may also send an email to obtain a copy.
We invite you to come and learn, share ideas and resources, network with other Latter-day Saints, receive motivation, and return to strengthen marriages and families in your homes and communities. Help us to explore the multitude of ways we can strengthen our families, our communities, and our world.
We also encourage you to pass along and share this information with anyone you feel might be interested or would like to be a part of this great effort to strengthen marriages. President Spencer W. Kimball has provided a vision of what is possible in marriage: “Real lasting happiness is possible, and marriage can be more an exultant ecstasy than the human mind can conceive. This is within the reach of every couple, every person” (Spencer W. Kimball, “Oneness in Marriage,” Ensign, Oct. 2002, 42).
For further information about the LDS Marriage Network, go to http://www.ldsmarriagenetwork.org.