The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will open the Montreal Quebec Temple to the public and begin guided tours of its interior on Thursday, November 5, 2015.
The open house in the newly refurbished temple runs through Saturday, November 14, 2015, except for Sunday, November 8. Free reservations for the open house can be made by visiting www.templeopenhouse.lds.org or by calling 1-855-537-2000.
The temple is located at 1450 Boulevard Marie-Victorin in Longueuil. Tours, consisting of a 10-minute video presentation followed by a 30-minute walking tour through the temple, will begin at the Latter-day Saint chapel adjacent to the temple.
Following the public open house, the temple will be formally rededicated on November 22. The dedication will be preceded by a cultural celebration featuring music and dance by the youth of the Church, to be held on the evening of November 21 at Monument-National Theatre. Due to limited seating, attendance at the cultural celebration is by invitation only, but media are invited to attend. Those wishing to watch the cultural celebration may go to their local meetinghouse.
The Montreal Temple was originally dedicated in June 2000 by then-President Gordon B. Hinckley and was closed in June 2014 for renovation. The temple serves nearly 11,000 Mormons in Quebec and Ottawa.
The exterior of the 11,550-square-foot (1,073-square-meter) temple features granite from Quebec. The building stands 70 feet (21.5 meters) high and is crowned with a gilded statue of the angel Moroni, an ancient prophet in the Book of Mormon, who is significant to Latter-day Saints for his role in the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The major design motifs for both the exterior and interior come from the Montreal flag, with four floral emblems representing the four main European ethnic groups that settled in the city in the 19th century. The interior of the temple also features a hand-painted mural depicting the wildlife and landscape of the Montreal area, specifically the St. Lawrence River.